6.24.2004

I had high hopes for updating this post more often, but Australia internet is not quite as convenient as the US. Downloading & uploading costs extra, so posting my pictures and blog was running up the Nevills' internet bill! Well a couple of days ago Mr. Nevill announced that they now have unlimited downloading, and I immediately went and posted my pictures. So be sure to check them out!

After 2 weeks of volunteering at Beechboro Christian School, I have spent this week at Clarkson Primary School with Joyce Nevill. She teaches kindergarten, so I've been reading with the kids, putting together puzzles, and practicing writing my ABC's. It has been interesting to learn about the differences between private Christian and public schools. I find that I have to catch myself before saying something about Jesus or singing a Christian song with them. This school is in a lower-economic part of town, and after visiting with a few of their parents, I wish I could teach these kids about the Lord. Doing this volunteer work has been very beneficial and has replanted thoughts about my own certification...

I had a very awesome experience this past Tuesday. Josh asked me to give my testimony at our weekly Bible study, and even though I've been preparing for it over the past month, my stomach was still in knots leading up to it. After it was over I realized that it was an incredible blessing for me to recall the ways the Lord has worked in my life. My "testimony" might not be as eventful or exciting as others, but it is very special to me and makes me who I am and who I will be. I know that the events of my time in Australia will one day also become part of my story.

I am still being quite the nomad in Perth. Going to school with Joyce and living with Helen presented a transportation problem- so I moved a few things to the Nevills! I have been here this past week, but now I am going back to Helen's with Jessica for the rest of our stay. However this week at the Nevills has been interesting for not just myself. The Nevills only have Luke & Sam, and Josh (who lives with them) only has brothers. The guys were appalled when I painted my toenails during "Spiderman" the other night! But I know that Joyce has enjoyed having another female around. :)

The team from Lipscomb gets here next Tuesday at 11:45pm. Once they get here we will hit the ground running- and I can't wait! We have a bunch of public schools that we will be presenting at and on Saturdays we will be visiting a juvenile prison, plus heaps of others activities in-between. It will be great and we are taking this weekend to rest before the craziness starts!

I hope that America is treating each of you well! The winter here isn't bad, but I am missing summer!! However we WILL be celebrating the Fourth of July, even if we are wearing sweatshirts and don't have hotdogs. Australia is beautiful and if you can ever come, I would highly recommend it! So far my favorite thing is playing on the beach at nighttime. God is so good! I love you and thank you for remembering our work here in your prayers. Cheers!

Love, Katie

PS- The pictures of the farm- Graham, the minister at Westchurch, took Jess, Josh, and me to his family farm, where his brother still lives. We spent time looking at bird nests, their farmland, looking at the stars at night... and eating mutton. Yes, Osman family, I ate mutton. Aren't you proud?!?

No comments: