11.03.2004

On Wednesday nights I teach the 2nd and 3rd grade Bible class. It's only about 20 kids, at the most, because the rest are participating in the Christmas musical. Typically it goes pretty well. The first couple of classes were shakey, but I think they were just getting used to a new teacher. Now we have a routine down, and they are starting to really enjoy our prayer time at the beginning of class and learning to respect one another as we share our prayer requests. Over the past couple of years, the idea of mission work has been something I have thought about more and more. I am now learning that I don't have to leave the US, or Abilene, or Highland to do mission work. For the past few weeks we have had 3 guests in our class that have come from a land that is foreign to myself and the rest of the kids. They live nearby in some apartments and come to Highland as a part of an outreach program of the university ministry. Talk about opening yourself to a new culture! Honestly our classtime hasn't gone quite as planned since these boys have joined us. The first week, it took myself AND my 2 helpers to get them under control. Last week our group took a little "field trip" around the building, and I didn't have a choice but to leave them behind with a helper. Each Wednesday night I leave frustrated, not because my class didn't go as planned, but because I am at a loss of what to do. My main goal is that these precious boys know that we love them, God loves them, and that Highland is a safe place for them. However I don't know how to give them that attention that they need AND teach my class. Right now the only thing my 2nd and 3rd graders have learned are probably some new swear words and some sketchy things that are going on in the boys' homes. So far the BEST thing that has come from our new neighborhood friends is that me, my helpers, and my kids have had to step out of our comfort zones. If my 2nd and 3rd graders walk out of the church building knowing more about truly loving our neighbors and don't really remember who rebuilt the temple... I think the world will be a better place for it. Please pray for me tonight!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Boy oh boy, do I know where you're coming from! I'll pray for sure!