4.04.2005

I am not a feminist.

I am very glad that God made me a woman, but I’ve never been one to stand up for myself on the basis of my sex. This is one reason that I have had a hard time becoming passionate about being a woman in ministry. Don’t get me wrong- I am extremely passionate about being in ministry. But my passion and drive does not come from my being a woman. During my undergrad years, I wrote a couple of papers about the role of women in the church. I knew the issues, the right scriptures to use and how to use them, but I never liked what I wrote. I have never felt that our reasoning behind women having a public role in the church is strong enough. Too often I have heard Galatians 3:28 being used to justify women’s roles in the faith community. Though this is a wonderful statement by Paul… I have never felt empowered by his words. Maybe it’s just me. Then there’s the whole justification of Paul’s letters’ argument and reasoning- the idea that the culture was different then, and since our culture is different now we need to catch up with the times. Now while I will not disagree with this thinking, it still seems that something is lacking. If our purpose in placing women in public roles within our churches is only to catch up with the times, then I’m afraid we need to open our Bibles and study again God’s calling to his daughters.

Basically this really is a conversation that I try to avoid. However the reality is that I am a woman in ministry. And I need to have some answers before I begin interviewing and my church leaders ask me these sorts of questions… Well I finally heard something in my class last week that I can rally around, I can jump on board, and I can finally say, “YES! I am a woman in ministry, hear me roar!” (Ok, maybe not that dramatic, but you get my drift…)

In my Introduction to the New Testament class we studied and discussed the Pastoral Epistles. The first half of the class was just looking at the similarities and discrepancies between these letters and other of Paul’s letters. This involved discussing the genre of the letters, the setting in which they were written, and some of the wording that is distinctive to the Pastorals. Needless to say this discussion did not give me goosebumps. At the end of class Dr. Thompson is good about asking what the book we are studying says to our churches today. It was decided that just as Paul was calling the churches in Ephesus and Crete to be attractive to their culture, God is calling today’s faith community to be attractive to our culture. When I first heard this, I wrote it down (because Dr. Thompson agreed with the answer), but I wasn’t sure how I felt about it. I am a process-thinker; therefore I listen for a while, go away and think about it, then have a response…

“Let a woman learn in silence with full submission. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she is to keep silent… Tell the women to be reverent in their behavior…”

These are a few of the things Paul had to say to these churches regarding their women. So if these letters are more than just checklists for the assembly, then I want to know what Paul is actually saying to these churches. And as I re-read his words, I understood why he is calling these communities of faith to be attractive to the surrounding society. It is more than just a call to look like their culture in order to blend in or to trick them into thinking that the church isn’t set apart. These letters are about being missional. In their time women did not have a voice, so why would others want to be a part of a faith community that is giving women authority? Paul is saying, “The only way you can be missional and reach out to those around you is if you are attractive to them. And you will never be attractive if there is not order in your church.” So now I want to know if Paul’s calling to these communities of antiquity is applicable to our churches today. And the answer is… YES! The calling has not changed, only our culture! God is still calling us to be attractive to our culture in order to be missional. Why would a woman who has been given strength in her world want to come into ours if she is only coming to a place that tells her to keep her thoughts and gifts to herself? We will never be a missional people if we do not start to look a little more like our culture. And, of course, this does not only apply to the women’s issue. Our world is multi-racial, -cultural, -generational, socio-economically diverse... we have a long way to go.

So if my reason for going into ministry is only to further the cause of women in the church, then I do not want to be in vocational ministry. But being a woman in ministry in order to be missional is something that I can grab a hold of and run. I can be passionate about being missional. If my being in ministry as a woman opens the doors of our faith communities a little wider, then I am all OVER being a woman in ministry!

15 comments:

Lindsey said...

Katie, you don't know me or anything, I found your blog through Katherine Gould's links. That was such a great post. The women issue in the church is something that I struggle with a lot. I have a huge passion to minister to the church, and its so hard understanding where the line must be drawn. I've never really thought of the issue in the perspective that you spoke through today. I hope that you're continually able to find direction and answers as you are a woman in minsitry. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, God Bless!

Vicki said...

Hi Katie.

You will know you are in the right place when you are simply "one in ministry", and gender is no longer an issue or a label.

Might I recommend for your reading, "WHY NOT WOMEN? A Fresh Look at Scripture on Women in Missions, Ministry, and Leadership", by Loren Cunningham and David Joel Hamilton. Good stuff.

Be encouraged. There are those out there, like myself, paving the way for all of God's people to serve Him as He has called, not as people have restricted.

"The Spirit of the Almighty Lord is with me because the Lord has anointed me to deliver good news to humble people. He has sent me to heal those who are brokenhearted, to announce that captives will be set free and prisoners will be released." Isa. 61:1 GWT

julie said...

Katie, I was meant to read your blog...everywhere I turned someone mentioned it to me...starting with your parents at lunch yesterday. I loved your honesty and the spirit in which you write. You are a humble, talented young woman who is allowing the Spirit to lead. Keep touching those little people with that Spirit.
grace, Julie (Drew's mom)

Keith Brenton said...

Thoughtful post, Katie; I came to your blog from the same link that led Wiley here (above).

I'm still convinced that something must have happened between Paul's first letters and the Pastorals to stir what seems to be a big change in direction.

But I can always go back to the gospel of John chapter 4 and find the first gospel preacher there: not credible, not perfect, and definitely not male.

Anonymous said...

Katie,

Thanks for posting on this. I got here through the gal328.org link as well.

Your journey here sounds eerily familiar. The first thing I want to say is, I understand the reluctance to advocate for yourself on the basis of your gender--it feels odd, it probably looks bad, and above all, seems peripheral. I get that. I've been there. So I understand that the attractiveness of the missional argument is that it points to the fact that you aren't, in fact, advocating for yourself--you are doing this for the sake of others, not for your own benefit.

However: if it is only the fact that our culture has changed which gives the church the impetus to change its views about women's social roles (in and out of church), then we have to admit that if our culture had not historically moved in the direction it did, we would have no reason to advocate for gender justice in church on the basis of reaching out intelligibly to the culture. Gender justice is then simply arbitrary, in a sense--a historical accident. It could have been, and could be, otherwise, without being wrong. The payoff of this view is that we don't have to censor Paul for falling short on this question, because he was simply answering to the culture in the same way that we are now. But the danger of it is, we can't say to those who disagree (in this context, those who make the counter-cultural plea) that there is something RIGHT about gender justice. We can only say, "it works (here and now)."

We need to make the claim that there is something RIGHT about struggling for gender justice within our churches. It's not just that if we tell women to remain silent and still, that American women (or Western or modern or postmodern women) will find it repugnant and a reason to walk away from Christianity. While this is true, it doesn't go far enough. Suppose there is a great reversal ahead for American culture, and in 20 years there are virtually no women in the workplace, in the university, in politics or other public areas of life; women typically stay at home and fulfill the traditionally defined female roles. Shall we then, as the church, the body of Christ, accept this new cultural milieu and start preaching, as a way to reach out intelligibly, that this is what God intended for women, as women?

My point is that cultures shift; it's a foundation of sand. What we really need to build on, in my opinion, is the belief that male and female are equally loved, equally worthy, and equally capable of serving in God's eyes. This does not shift with cultural trends. And it ought to preach everywhere, for all times.

TKP said...

Katie,
See, I got here through gal328 as well, heh heh. I really encourage you to keep seeking God's direction in your spiritual gifts, and I'm glad you're thinking critically about such an important issue. If you go to second service at Highland, you may see me serving the Lord's Supper. Maybe we will run into each other. Take care.

Teresa

TKP said...

Hey Katie,
I just wanted to add that I'm so pleased you are in the GST and seeking to use the gifts God has given you for ministry.

Teresa

Anonymous said...

Can we really take seriously the comments of "blessedrelease" whose own blog profile identifies the author as a 28 year old male one moment and a 23 year old female the next? If the intent is malicious rather than comedic (I am inclined to believe the latter), perhaps all we can do is remember Jesus' injunction to pray for those who persecute you.

This is one of those times when the possibility of anonymity in the blogosphere allows comedians (or cowards) to hide their true selves (and even morph from one moment to the next).

Katie, thank you for your openness and the vulnerability that comes along with it. Know that there is a growing community of people in the Churches of Christ who see the urgency of the gospel's demand that all of God's children be treated with equal respect, whether or not there is agreement on the particulars.

And on a lighter note: If this person somehow represents the mainstream view on women's "rolls" in church, there will certainly be women "rolling" out the doors to find other spiritual homes.

Indie Pereira said...

Hi Katie.
Don't let the detracters get you down. You know that you've been called and God knows your heart. Keep on doing God's work, sister.

The 405 Experience said...

Just wanted to say hi :)

Jared Cramer said...

Katie,
God bless you in your missional ministry as a called minister and as a woman. I believe God affirms the good in both and will use you as both roles co-exist. You get big props in my book for the courage it takes to obey a calling like this that is obviously so difficult.

Bonnie said...

I just wanted to encourage you in what you wrote, Katie. I don't have the answers either, and I too am not a feminist, but I love that you are being so honest and putting your ideas out there.

I admire you so much for continuing to search and seek out these answers, and to stay within the CofC and try to make a change. I hope there are more like you!

I'm one of the ones that finally left (I feel because of God's leading), and what a burden was lifted from my heart! It is such a joy to serve God in the church in the ways he calls me, without the 'women issue' being an issue, whether that be teaching Sunday School or leading worship (usually both!), all in submission to and partnership with my husband.

I hope that doesn't sound discouraging to you, but instead speaks to the urgency of this matter. My heart still has ties to the CofC, and I do long to see things done differently there, and women like you give me hope! So thanks, and have a great week.
bonnie

Jessica said...

Katie - I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only woman who has struggled with this. In one of my classes we were talking about women who were oppressed in the ministry environment. And my response was that either I wasn't oppressed, or I was oppressed and was too stupid to realize it. I have been in situations where it wasn't the most condusive to women and I do feel like there are changes to be made, but not just for the sake of change - but that there is some intrinsic value in having a woman's contribution to the church family - if that is what we are really going to be. The church I'm moving to work with outside of D.C. has been talking about this, and in a place where a lot of the women in that church work in the pentagon and the white house, they are leaders of forgeign policy and if we were to ask them to enter church and to sit down and shut up because the didn't have the right equipment to be appreciated, the would laugh at us and walk out. It is all about being missional, and making ourselves appealing to those we are trying to reach. I really hope that you learn alot at the Women in Ministry conference - Jen will be there too - I wish I could go, perhaps next year. You'll have to tell me all about it when you get back!

Candy said...

Katie - Finally, someone with passion for the right reason; becoming missional, reaching out to those around us. Like you, I've been trying to figure this one out. I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon just to be on it or to be proving a point. I've held back in some ways because of this. I know so many women who struggle with not having had a voice in the religious community. I'm glad we're coming out of that and drawing them in. They need a place to feel at home, accepted, and comfortable in their own skin instead of gagged and bound. You have described freedom with a purpose and I'm all over that. I'm so glad you wrote this and I stumbled upon it (from Debbie Riggs' blog). You're a very good writer. I'll be back.

RPorche said...

Katie--

Just read your stuff. These are such great thoughts--keep asking the tough questions. I believe God has equipped you and called you to wonderful positions of leadership in His Kingdom. Be true to who God made you to be. I hope your trip to California is great!