2.20.2006

Thoughts for a Monday…

~ ~ ~ ~

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. – 1 John 4:1

~ ~ ~ ~

Last week the film “Invisible Children” was shown around Abilene, including Highland. If you have not seen it, please figure out a way to get a copy in your hand then share it will all of your friends. I was excited to see it, because such there was such a hype surrounding the movie. However that hype also made me wonder if it was just another film that was going to give you a “missional high”- one that would make you want to go out and sell everything you have for about 5 minutes… then it would lessen as rationality sets in. Well… after seeing it, the wheels in my mind were certainly turning about the ways I spend my money and what I could do to save more of it But the movie has also stayed with me throughout the weeks. The interesting thing is that most of the men and women that were interviewed are Christians. That fact wasn’t the point of the movie, but it was mentioned. What hit me the most was that these people (including their government officials) truly believe that no one else in the world cares about them. They feel very alone in this nightmare and really believe they are alone. A lot of people may see this movie and want to head over there as fast as possible to share the gospel. Well our African brothers and sisters know the gospel. They just aren’t experiencing the love.

~ ~ ~ ~

This is Lectureship week here in Abilene. It seriously takes over the whole town, because all of the hotels are booked, restaurants are packed, and traffic on the north side of town is busier. I never care, though, because I love it. I always see people that I haven’t seen in at least a year. And how having lived and been involved with church and academia in Temple, Abilene, and Nashville, I have so many connections and it’s so fun to randomly run into people (which can literally happen after a keynote lets out and everyone is scurrying around Moody). The people that come in for this from hundreds of miles away are so cute! I can picture myself someday rolling into Moody with my walker and adjusting my hearing aid so that I can be fed by the men (and maybe, someday, women!) who will be leading the generation after me. Until that day, I am glad to hike up the stairs to the top of section S to hear Dr. Money and other fine men not only dream of unity, but bring unity to reality.

~ ~ ~ ~

Here’s a picture of some loyal GSP fans from Sing Song on Saturday night...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I had so much fun seeing you this weekend! I wish I could've seen you more! Thanks for blogging again!