2.08.2005

I want to share about an experience I had on Sunday. Marianne is a lady who attends Highland with her family, and is also a friend of my parents from 11th & Willis days. She has had cancer for (I think) 5 years now, and has been as close to death as possible a few times in recent months. On Sunday her family asked that communion be brought to her house. However Super Bowl Sunday parties seemed to be of more importance, so only my parents, me & Lindsey, and another 11th & Willis friend, Greg, showed up to share in this holy meal. Gathered around the meal was Marianne, her husband (who also lost his 1st wife to cancer), her brother and sister, their daughter, and us. We sang hymns, Greg shared some thoughts, and then Greg and I served the meal. I tore a piece of bread for each person, and Greg held the juice so that they could dip their bread into it. While Marianne did not remember who we were, she sure did remember her Lord and the sacrifice that was made for her. During the meal, her husband held her as she whispered through her tears, “I don’t deserve this… I don’t deserve this.” I have had some delicious, memorable meals in my lifetime, but this meal by far was the most precious. This is what being family is all about. This is what the body of Christ is all about. I want to be a part of a family that values the importance of this meal.

No comments: