9.30.2005

Most of you know that my job has drastically changed within the past month. I am still technically the children’s ministry resident; but my job has morphed into the role of the interim children’s minister. My wonderful boss, mentor, and friend is no longer the children’s minister as of a few weeks ago. Needless to say it has been a tough month. My lack of blogging has come from the absence of words, not really knowing what to share or how to share it. In this post I will do my best to share the tension and growth that is going on in my mind and heart.

This morning as I sat at my desk and looked at my list of things to do, weekend calendar, and the pile of work & projects growing on my desk, my heart started to race. Then a little reminder popped up from my Outlook calendar that I had a meeting in 5 minutes. My heart began to race a little faster. I knew I wasn’t nervous about anything; I decided that this is what a panic attack must feel like. Now I know that it was not really a panic attack, but it sure wasn’t a feeling of control or balance. I went to this meeting still feeling very dysfunctional. It ended up being a good meeting, but my mind wasn’t with them the whole time. I decided then that I would ask for help in the form of a student worker.

Later this afternoon I talked to my new boss about getting some more help for our office. He was very receptive to the idea, but expressed concern for my stress. After talking about the factors contributing to the stress, he asked me if I could point to one thing that was causing my stress. I wish I had had a few minutes to think about this question. If so I probably would have come up with a very calculated, careful, professional answer. Instead I said, “I hate politics. And I feel like that is what my job has turned into.” I went on to say that in no way was I expressing that I wanted to leave my position or that I wasn’t still very committed to the ministry. I just tried to help him understand that I was frustrated in the new process that I am having to learn. I’m sure it is something that, inevitably, every minister- or working professional- must learn; it is just something that is causing the most frustration and stress for me at the present moment.

Tonight as I studied with friends at a local coffee joint, the conversation turned towards creation and the fall—basically systematic theology. I won’t go into our whole conversation, but the idea was brought up that we are on this earth to be conformed into Christ’s likeness. That idea went off like a firework in my head. Here I am learning how to be a politician, when I could be doing much more productive things that would transform me into the likeness of Christ.

It seems odd to me that right as my job is requiring much more of me, I am being presented with many more opportunities for service in our community. I am a big fan of Examen— acknowledging the things in your life that give you life and take away life. As I reflect over the past couple of weeks, my being at work wears me out, and sleep is what I look forward to most in my day. However over the past week, I have had trouble going to sleep on the nights that I come home from the Red Cross shelter. Last night after coming home from handing out sack-dinners to the homeless & hungry around Abilene (some tents not a mile from my place), I had to stay up awhile to let my mind process and contemplate the things I had witnessed. I came home energized and went up to the shelter to touch base with the people I have come to love there.

What I value in the discipline of Examen is that it is learning to see & acknowledge the presence and working of the Lord in both the things that give you life and take away life. He is with us always, in the good and the not so good. I have certainly witnessed this in my life lately. Though going to work is not my favorite thing, I often feel a strong presence of the Holy Spirit in my mind and heart. Too often lately I have kept my emotions together and used kind words, when my attitude was not one of kindness. That has the Holy Spirit written all over it. I would have broken down weeks ago without the Lord’s strength and abundant blessings of peace and calmness. My prayer throughout this whole ordeal with my job, throughout my experiences of being drawn toward social justice opportunities, and throughout my juggling of these things with my grad classes, has been that I will be transformed through the renewal of my mind, and that the Lord will give me wisdom in my inner being. The classes that I have right now are filling my head with all sorts of knowledge, but what I need most right now is wisdom deep within my soul. The wisdom to discern these experiences, and the renewal of my mind that I may change as a person and minister as I process these experiences.

“Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.” Psalm 51

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Romans 12:2

8 comments:

Katey said...

You're going to make it-not because of any abilities you have, or any schooling that you've made it through, but simply because of your heart and your faith. I hope they realize how lucky they are to have you- I'm lucky to call you friend and sister. Love you!

Steve said...

I think it's telling that "ministers" and "working professionals" were lumped into the same sentence in your post. At most churches in America, ministry has become a "job", a "profession." Pulpit ministers are CEOs. Youth ministers are activity planners. Children's ministers are "branch managers." This is unfortunate, in my estimation. Are our churches too big when individual servants of the Lord have feelings of stress about their calling? Can one (or even two!) fleshly, fallen (but intensely faithful!) human beings maintain the spiritual growth of 300+ children of varying ages? I don't think so.

"The Church" (and I use that term loosely) has become a business. Ministers have become managers and planners, politicians even. When these managers don't produce the results desired by the higher-ups, they are handed a pink slip. Just like at Wal-Mart Corporate Offices, Dell, Disney, FedEx, and any other Fortune 500 company.

Does anyone else see a problem with this setup?

Steve said...

If it isn't clear from my response, Katie, I appreciated your transparency in this post and your service in the kingdom of God. You are loved!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember from where I got to your blog (someone else's blog, I'm sure), but this struck me.

My wife and I worked as adminstrators in a church office for several years and were also struck by the politics. One co-worker observed that the show "West Wing" was *just* like our office.

But we also know that calling it "politics" isn't always accurate. It's not really like Politics in many ways. It only becomes Politics when it's about give and take a little conniving and not about Friendship and Fellowship (the latter, "koinonia", in my mind, meaning "Working Together With Friends").

I just want to encourage you to not give in to cynicism. You may not be tempted by it now, but you will be. It always helps me to remember to "fix your eyes on Jesus" as the famous anonymous writer said, and to make myself a Friend to those I'm tempted to Be Political with if possible. What steve jr. said is sadly true for many, and maybe some of them are what Jesus would call "hired hands", but many are also good shepherds and a lot of fun to work with helping others know about Jesus.

Jennifer said...

I'm taking my last five minutes of lunchtime freedom to comment here, so that says alot. :) I just want you to know how incredibly much I respect you. You have handled this entire situation at the church with such grace that I can only someday hope to attain. Once again my decision to leave Abilene has been confirmed by this whole thing. There's no way I would've handled the situation the same way. I would've gone absolutely ballistic and ended up without a job as well. Actually, I hope I wouldn't have, but I know that's what would've happened. It still makes me sick, and while I have lost respect for many, mine for you has only increased. Thank you for being such a faithful and wonderf

Anonymous said...

When someone is asked to resign from a church position for some reason it automatically seems wrong. It shouldn't be that way though. If someone is not doing their job well, no matter how nice, sweet and well-intentioned they may be, it is still an appropriate reason for being asked to resign. I HATE that it had to happen. I wish it could be different. I'm sad for the family involved.
We have to look past that though and do what is best for the children's ministry overall. In my opinion, that is exactly what happened in this situation. Regardless, I understand your frustrations and am praying for you as you are left to pick up the pieces.

Sue said...

You are loved dearly!

Jessica said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Full-time ministry is WAY more stressful than it has to be, especially in a situation like yours. I admire your resilience and your passion for serving the Lord. I cannot wait to see you and get to spend some time with you. (I'm coming into town this weekend!) I love you girl!